Full disclosure: we had never thought of adding mushrooms to salmon patties. But after trying this recipe, we’re hooked!
Created by our friend Chef Jenn Felmley for the Mushroom Council’s 2022 Blended Burger Contest, the salmon and mushroom combo blew our taste buds away with its great texture and umami flavor. Serves 4
- 2 heaping cups finely chopped salmon (skin off, pin bones removed)
- 1-1/2 cup finely chopped Shiitake mushrooms (cleaned, stems removed)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper (additional for seasoning the burger while cooking)
- Pinch Kosher salt (additional for seasoning the burger while cooking)
- 2 tsp high heat cooking oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup Teriyaki sauce (can use store bought)
- 4 hamburger buns
- 12 thin slices English or Persian cucumber
- 1 small head green leaf lettuce
- In a medium bowl stir together Mirin and egg, and beat well. Add shiitake mushrooms, green onions, lemon zest, ginger, breadcrumbs, pepper and salt. Fold in salmon.
- Line ring mold or round cookie cutter (slightly smaller than your bun) with plastic wrap, fill with mixture, then wrap plastic around mixture to secure the shape and remove from mold. Do this four times to create four salmon patties. Transfer to refrigerator and let set for at least 1 hour (or up to overnight) before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a non-stick skillet heat oil over medium-high until hot (but not smoking). Lightly season patties on both sides with salt and pepper. Add patties to pan and sauté 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Place burgers on cookie sheet and top each patty with 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce. Bake for 5 minutes or until just cooked through.
- To build burgers, layer the bottom half of a bun with lettuce and cucumber. Top with a salmon patty and an extra drizzle of teriyaki sauce. Serve with potato chips, fries or macaroni salad or other choice of side dish!
Canadian Sashimi Grade Salmon (Sake), Farmed$33.99 – $35.99
Faroe Islands Sashimi Grade Salmon (Sake), Farmed$39.99 – $41.99