Move over mayo! San Diego’s favorite fishmonger makes his popular tuna salad using fresh, steamed tuna and tangy red wine vinegar. Now you can replicate the deliciousness at home using our brand of canned tuna! Recipe courtesy Tommy the Fishmonger. Photo courtesy Catalina Offshore Products.
- 1 (6 oz) can Catalina’s Choice Solid Pack Tuna in Olive Oil (don’t drain)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced or sliced to your preference
- 1 tbsp diced yellow bell peppers
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil
How to Prepare:
- In a bowl mix together tuna, vinegar, onion, bell pepper, capers and garlic and onion powders.
- Season with salt and pepper and additional olive oil to taste.
- Serve with crackers or vegetables, or use for a sandwich filling. To make the best tuna melt ever (Tommy is known for his), use a high quality sourdough and sliced swiss or sharp white cheddar.
- Salad may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Hint: it gets better as it marinates!