Recipe courtesy Su-Mei Yu of Saffron Restaurant, as featured during Collaboration Kitchen. Makes 4 to 5 servings
- 1/3 cup chili paste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh coconut cream and milk combined
- ,1/2 teaspoon salt,2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds red snapper, salmon or seabass fillet cut into 1/4inch slices (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup thinly packed chopped Thai basil leaves
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves, slivered
- 4 to 5 – 5-inch square banana pouches, or 6 to 7 custard cups or 4 medium artichokes, parboiled for 25 minutes, cooled, remove inner leaves and tough-hairy inner blossom
- 10 shiso (perilla) leaves
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 5 to 6 whole Thai basil leaves
- 2 red Thai chilies
How to Prepare:
- Add the chile paste, coconut cream and milk combined, salt and fish sauce in a mixing bowl. Mix to blend and dissolve the chile paste.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the fish, chopped basil, all but 12 strands kaffir lime leaves and mix to combine.
- Line the vessels of your choice with the shiso leaves. Add the fish custard mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut cream and cornstarch and mix well. Spoon a dollop of the mixture on top of fish and garnish with basil leave, chilies and the reserved kaffir lime leave strands.
- Put in the steamer racks and steam over medium high heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until the custard is firm. Serve warm with cooked rice.