Cobia’s firm bite holds up well against citrus, which makes it a perfect choice for ceviche. This recipe combines a spicy, orange-lime ceviche with pear granita, aka Italian-style crushed ice. If you don’t have pears, we don’t see why apples wouldn’t work. Or you could just skip the ‘ice’ and go straight for the ‘fire’.
For the Asian Pear Granita:
- 15 Asian pears, peeled and cored
- 2 oz grated ginger,1 quart water
- 1 cup simple syrup (store bought, or homemade – see note below)
- 4 oz white soy,4 cups orange juice
For the Cobia Ceviche:
- 3 oz thinly sliced Cobia
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon thinly cut chives
- 1/2 teaspoon small diced jalapeño
- 1/4 shaved red onion
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 oz orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon shaved cilantro
How to Prepare:
For the granita: Place all ingredients in the blender, freeze, and crush before serving.
For the ceviche: Place all ingredients in a bowl and let marinate for 3-5 min.
When ready to assemble, place crushed granita on a cold plate, top with ceviche (without the juices), and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Note: To make a simple syrup: combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. It will appear grainy at first, and then cloudy. The syrup will turn totally clear when ready. Let cool before incorporating with any other ingredients.