These quick and easy shrimp cakes can be served on their own as an appetizer or over a bed of greens or pasta as a main course. Makes 8-10 cakes, serving 4-5 people.
- 1 lb. Oregon Bay Shrimp coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 Tbs. Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- Lemon wedges
How to Prepare:
- The key here is to chop the shrimp to a size that will make it easier to form the cakes, large pieces will just make it more difficult.
- Mix all of the ingredients fully, and test the moisture content by forming a patty. If the cake wants to fall apart you can add more mayonnaise at this point, perhaps 1 tablespoon at a time, mix and retry. From 8-10 cakes and let rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to allow ingredients to bind more.
- Heat a large non stick pan to medium high heat with the olive oil, carefully add the cakes and check after 4 minutes by gently lifting the cake. You want the underside to be a dark golden brown with a nice crust. Turn the cakes and cook for another 4-5 minutes. You may need more olive oil here – use no more than one more tablespoon and slide the cakes around so they all get a little coating of the oil. This will ensure even browning.
- Plate while still hot and serve with lemon wedges and sprinkle with sea salt and a dash of Old Bay.
Oregon Bay Shrimp