Common thresher shark provides a mild, slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with simple to bold seasonings. Its firm, steak-like texture makes a healthy alternative to red meat and is perfect for fish tacos. Feel free to also use mako shark or swordfish in this recipe! Courtesy Hector Casanova of Casanova Fish Tacos.
- 1lb thresher shark, cut into strips about 1” wide
- 1 root of fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of ranch dressing
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage, ﬁnely chopped
- Corn tortillas
How to Prepare:
- In a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat, add about a tablespoon of butter. Add the shark strips to pan and grate fresh ginger over them to taste. Add the sesame seeds and a pinch of salt and proceed to grill shark for 3 minutes per side.
- For the cilantro cream: in a bowl mix the mayo, ranch dressing, and chopped cilantro and serrano. Add in some fresh lime juice to taste.
- To serve, place a hot tortilla on a plate, add a piece of cooked shark, top with cabbage and follow that with a drizzle of cilantro cream. Garnish with chopped cilantro.