A spicy tuna roll is one of the most popular dishes at sushi bars. It’s also a great place to start when making sushi for the first time. This recipe makes 4 rolls (24 pieces)
- 4 cups cooked sushi rice*
- 4 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 1/2 lb fresh tuna
- 1/4 tsp Rayo (hot sesame oil)<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/mzBWAxkSrn8″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
- 1 Japanese cucumber, cut into thin sticks
- 2 Burdock root, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 oz (1/4 cup) masago
- 2 oz micro wasabi
*For best results, go to an Asian grocery store and look specifically for sushi rice. Many will include a recipe on the back. Alternatively, purchase a short grain white rice such as Calrose. You will also need a bamboo rolling mat, plastic wrap, small bowl of warm water. For ease, check out our Sushi Making Essentials Kit!
How to Prepare:
- Chop tuna into small pieces. Pour Rayo over the tuna and gently stir to combine.
- Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Cut a 3 inch wide strip off of a sheet of nori. Lay nori shiny side down on the plastic covered mat.
- Wet your fingers with water and spread 1 cup of rice evenly onto the nori sheet. Pick up the sheet of nori and place it back onto the mat with the rice side down.
- Place burdock root down the length of the nori, then top with cucumber and tuna.
- Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder. Pull away the mat and place the roll onto a damp clean surface.
- Decorate the top of the roll by alternating sliced avocado and masago.
- Repeat until all 4 rolls are made.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces. Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi micro greens and soy sauce.