Scallops in the style of cacio e pepe – an Italian pasta dish that literally means “cheese and pepper” – but with peas and mushrooms. A perfect dish for spring! Recipe by Lindsay Evans Smith (@_LindsayEats_) for Catalina Offshore Products.
- 17.6 oz linguini, cooked according to instructions
- 2 cups reserved pasta water
- Avocado oil
- 2 lb sea scallops
- 4 pinches of salt
- 6 Tbsp salted butter, divided
- 6 crimini mushrooms, stemmed & thinly sliced
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded grana padano cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded pecorino cheese
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Pat scallops dry on paper towel. Sprinkle both sides of scallops with salt.
- Coat the bottom of a large cast iron pan with avocado oil. Heat until oil is shimmering. Working in batches, place scallops in pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, flipping when golden brown. Place on paper towels & set aside.
- In a large braising pot or dutch oven, melt 3 Tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms & peas; cook until softened. Stir in pepper & cook for 1-2 minutes to allow pepper to bloom.
- To the pot, add reserved pasta water & turn heat to low. Add 3 Tbsp of butter & cooked linguini. Add the grana padano, & stir to combine.
- Once cheese has melted, remove from heat & stir in pecorino cheese. Plate pasta, and top with cooked scallops.