Featured during our May 2014 Collaboration Kitchen, this recipe was created by Chef Hanis Cavin of the San Diego-based Carnitas Snack Shack and his friend, New York-based chef, Henry Freidank. Along with his wife, Sara Stroud, Chef Hanis opened the first “SnackShack” in 2011 in the bustling neighborhood of North Park. Since then the pork-centric couple has opened two more locations – one at San Diego’s waterfront boardwalk, The Embarcadero, and the other in Del Mar, an affluent community in the city’s North County region.
Makes 24 servings.
- 2 oz sea urchin (uni)
- 12 hardboiled eggs
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 tblsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp pimento
- Salt & pepper
How to Prepare:
- Cut hardboiled eggs in half lengthwise, separate egg yolks and egg whites. Set egg whites aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together egg yolks, sea urchin, mayo, olive oil, season to taste with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a fry pan. Once hot, add shallots and fry until crispy. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- To plate: Fill egg white halves with uni mixture, dust with pimento, top with a teaspoon of caviar, crispy shallots and crispy bacon.*
*Our plating suggestion is how the original recipe was written. The photo, taken during Collaboration Kitchen shows an alternate version.
Sea Urchin Roe – Uni