Common thresher shark provides a mild, slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with simple to bold seasonings. Its firm, steak-like texture makes a healthy alternative to red meat and is perfect for fish tacos. Feel free to also use mako shark or swordfish in this recipe!
Recipe courtesy Hector Casanova of Casanova Fish Tacos.
- 1lb thresher shark, cut into strips about 1” wide
- 1 root of fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of ranch dressing
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage, ﬁnely chopped
- Corn tortillas
How to Prepare:
- In a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat, add about a tablespoon of butter. Add the shark strips to pan and grate fresh ginger over them to taste. Add the sesame seeds and a pinch of salt and proceed to grill shark for 3 minutes per side.
- For the cilantro cream: in a bowl mix the mayo, ranch dressing, and chopped cilantro and serrano. Add in some fresh lime juice to taste.
- To serve, place a hot tortilla on a plate, add a piece of cooked shark, top with cabbage and follow that with a drizzle of cilantro cream. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Common Thresher Shark, Mako Shark