This recipe was created by Dave Rudie, founder and CEO of Catalina Offshore Products. It was also featured in Westways, the magazine for AAA members in Southern California! Makes one sea urchin shooter so multiply as necessary per number of servings.
- 1 ounce uni
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tobiko (flying fish roe) or masago (capelin roe)
- Very small pinch of wasabi
- Splash of ponzu (Japanese citrus-based sauce)
- 1 ounce sake, ginger beer, or ginger ale
How to Prepare:
- Place uni in shot glass.
- Add green onions and tobiko.
- Add wasabi using two toothpicks, one to gather it up and the other to scrape it off the first toothpick (use a very small pinch of the wasabi so as not to overpower the flavor of the uni).
- Top with splash of ponzu, fill rest of glass with sake or ginger beverage, and serve.
This recipe is meant to be consumed in one shot, but it’s okay to let it linger on your tongue!
Sea Urchin Roe – Uni